Before becoming a software engineer, I was a researcher studying software engineering at the universities of Utrecht, Karlskrona/Ronneby (these days known as the Belinking Institute of Technology), and Groningen. Additionally I worked at Nokia Research. On this page you may find various things I’ve published from those days. You may also find me on Research Gate, even though I’m not very active there. If you need something that isn’t listed on this page, drop me an email.
I choose to share my published work via this website. The reason is simply because I wrote these articles so that others may read them. I find that locking them up behind tightly controlled for profit publisher web sites is a good way of ensuring few people do that. It should be noted though that in some cases the copyright of the material belongs to the publisher and not to me. It is my understanding that publishers generally don’t object against authors providing downloadable pdfs of their published work. I know this to be true of at least the IEEE where several of these articles have been published.
Students / PhD Students
Over the years I’ve had the pleasure of supervising/coaching several smart people with their thesis work either officially or unofficially. Looking back, all of them went on to have amazing careers of their own and I realize that I learned as much from them as they hopefully did from me.
- 2000: Tony Gorschek. I vaguely recall this enthusiastic pair of students working on their bachelor thesis in 2000. Tony went on to do a M Sc., licentiate and Ph. D. after I left Sweden and eventually became a professor in the same department I used to work in.
- 2001-2003: Anton Jansen. I worked with Anton while doing my Ph. D. at the university of Groningen. We wrote a paper together while he was doing his master thesis and I supervised him during his first year as a Ph. D. and we did another paper together. He received his degree in 2008.
- 2001-2003: Eelke Folmer. Eelke was one of the big guys I shared a room with in Groningen. He joined our research group in 2001 and I helped him out with his research work until I left. He got his Ph D. in 2005 and now works as a professor in Reno, Nevada doing research on Game design patterns aimed at making games fun and playable for disabled people.
- 2005: Ronald Bos. When I was working for GX, Ronald joined us to do his master thesis on usability in content management systems. I supervised him for the six months he was with us and wrote a paper with him and Sjaak Brinkkemper. Last I checked, he was working in Barcelona.
- 2005: Martijn Claus. Martijn joined us at GX to do his master thesis on using aspect oriented programming in GX WebManager. After finishing, he was offered a job as a sofware engineer at GX. This was around the time I left.
- 2007-2008: Christian del Rosso. My colleague, friend and neighbor in Helsinki will soon graduate with Jan Bosch as his main super visor. I helped him out a bit revising his thesis.
- 2007-2008: Filip Suba. Filip worked in my research team as a trainee during the summer of 2007. We wrote a paper on an evaluation of sensor actuator networks and after a few months he joined us to work on his master thesis with me as his main supervisor in Nokia. He finalized his master thesis in summer of 2008 on prototyping an extension to OpenID around a new security concept we are working on.
- 2008: Daniel Wilms. Daniel joined Filip in our team a few months after Filip started. He finished his master thesis in Nokia on social networks and semantic web (lowercase) and now works for Nokia.
Ph. D. Thesis and other works
- On the design & preservation of software systems, Ph. D. thesis, University of Groningen, 2003.
- Variability in Software Systems: The Key to Software Reuse, Licentiate thesis, October 2000.
- Design Principles for Reusable, Composable and Extensible Frameworks, Master thesis, March 1999.
- J. van Gurp, C. Prehofer, J. Bosch, Comparing Practices for Reuse in Integration-oriented Software Product Lines and Large Open Source Software Projects, Software: Practice and Experience, John Wiley & Sons, vol 40(4), pp. 285-312, 2010.
- C. Prehofer, J. van Gurp, V. Stirbu, S. Sathish, P. Liimatainen, C. di Flora, S. Tarkoma, Practical Web based Smart Spaces, IEEE Pervasive Computing, vol 9(3), pp. 72-80, 2010.
- Jilles van Gurp, Sjaak Brinkkemper, Jan Bosch, Design Preservation over Subsequent Releases of a Software Product - A Case Study of Baan ERP, Journal of Software Maintenance and Evolution: Research and Practice, vol 17(4), pp. 277-306, 2005.
- Mikael Svahnberg, Jilles van Gurp, Jan Bosch, A taxonomy of variability realization techniques, Software Practice & Experience, vol 35(8), pp. 1-50, 2005.
- Anton Jansen, Jilles van Gurp, Rein Smedinga, Jan Bosch, First class feature abstractions for product derivation, IEE Proceedings of Software Engineering, vol 151, no 4. August 2004.
- Eelke Folmer, Jilles van Gurp, Jan Bosch, A framework for capturing the relationship between usability and software architecture; Software Process: Improvement and Practice, Volume 8, Issue 2. Pages 67-87. April/June 2003.
- Eelke Folmer, Jilles van Gurp, Jan Bosch, Investigating the relationship between software architecture and usability, accepted for Software Process - Improvement & Practice: Special Issue on Bridging the Process and Practice Gaps between Software Engineering and Human Computer Interaction, 2003.
- Jilles van Gurp, Jan Bosch, Design Erosion: Problems & Causes, Journal of Systems & Software, 61(2), pp. 105-119, Elsevier, March 2002.
- Jilles van Gurp, Jan Bosch, “Design, Implementation and Evolution of Object Oriented Frameworks: Concepts & Guidelines”, Software Practice " Experience no 33(3), pp 277-300, March 2001.
- S.Tarkoma, J. Heikkinen, J. van Gurp. Mobile Push for Converged Mobile Services: the Airline Scenario. Book chapter. To appear in Handbook of Research on Advanced Distributed Event-Based Systems, Publish/Subscribe and Message Filtering Technologies. Edited by A. Hinze and A. Buchmann, published by IGI.
- Christian Prehofer, Jilles van Gurp and Jan Bosch, Compositionality in Software Product Lines, in Emerging Methods, Technologies and Process Management in Software Engineering, Andrea De Lucia, Filomena Ferrucci, Genny Tortora and Maurizio Tucci (editors), pp. 21-43, Wiley-IEEE Computer Society Press, 2008.
- Jilles van Gurp, Jan Bosch, Role-Based Component Engineering, in “Building Reliable Component-based Systems”, editors: Ivica Crnkovic and Magnus Larsson, Artech House Publishers, 2002.
- Jilles van Gurp, Mikael Svahnberg, Jan Bosch, “On the notion of variability in software product lines”, chapter in “System Family Variant Configuration and Derivation”, N. Farcet (editor), wp3 of the ESI ESAPS (Engineering Software Architectures, Processes and Platforms for System-Families) project, thales_wp3-0105-1, May 2001.
- V. Myllärniemi, C. Prehofer, M. Raatikainen, J. van Gurp,T. Männistö, An Approach for Dynamically Composing Decentralised Service Architectures with Cross-Cutting Constraints, ECSA 2008 - First European Conference on Software Architecture, 2008
- Jilles van Gurp, Juha Savolainen, Service Grid Variability Realization, proceedings of 10th International Software Product Line Conference (SPLC 2006), August 2006.
- Jilles van Gurp, Anssi Karhinen, Jan Bosch, Mobile Service Oriented Architectures (MOSOA), invited paper, proceedings of 6th IFIP WG 6.1 International Conference on Distributed Applications and Interoperable Systems
- Folmer, E.; Gurp, J. v. & Bosch, J., 2004, Software Architecture Analysis of Usability, the 9th IFIP Working Conference on Engineering for Human-Computer Interaction, Pages 321-339 Hamburg, July 2004.
- Jilles van Gurp, Rein Smedinga, Jan Bosch, Architectural Design Support for Composition and Superimposition, proceedings of HICCS 2002. Presentation slides can be found here.
- Jilles van Gurp, Jan Bosch, Mikael Svahnberg, On the Notion of Variability in Software Product Lines, Proceeedings of WICSA 2001, August 2001. The slides of the powerpoint presentation can be found here.
- Jilles van Gurp, Jan Bosch, SAABNet: Managing Qualitative Knowledge in Software Architecture Assessment,Ã‚Â proceedings of ECBS 2000. Presentation slides.
- Jilles van Gurp, Jan Bosch, On the Implementation of Finite State Machines Proceedings of the 3rd Annual IASTED International Conference Software Engineering and Applications ( SEA ’99) pp 172-178, october 6-8, 1999 Scottsdale, Arizona. The framework that is discussed in the paper and some code examples, can be found here. The code is provided as is and is provided for educational purposes only. An earlier, longer version of this paper can be found here.
Workshop Papers & Demo’s
- Filip Suba, Christian Prehofer, Jilles van Gurp, Towards a Common Sensor Network API: Practical Experiences, The 2008 Symposium on Applications & the Internet, Turku, Finland, July 28 - Aug. 1, 2008.
- Jilles van Gurp, Christian Prehofer, From SPLs to Open, Compositional Platforms, position paper for Dagstuhl seminar 08142: Combining the Advantages of Product Lines and Open Source, 2008. Read the blogpost with the full paper.
- Jilles van Gurp, Sasu Tarkoma, Christian Prehofer, and Cristiano di Flora, A Web based platform for smart spaces, Demo at The Internet of Things 2008.
- Jilles van Gurp, Christian Prehofer, Cristiano di Flora, Experiences with realizing Smart Space Web Service Applications, 1st IEEE International Peer-to-Peer for Handheld Devices Workshop in proceedings of the 5th IEEE Consumer Communications and Networking Conference CCNC 2008, pp. 1171-1175, 2008
- Christian Prehofer, Jilles van Gurp, Cristiano di Flora Towards the Web as a Platform for Ubiquitous Applications in Smart Spaces, Second Workshop on Requirements and Solutions for Pervasive Software Infrastructures (RSPSI), at UBICOMB 2007, Innsbruck, 16-19 Sebtember, 2007.
- Jilles van Gurp, Variability Management and Compositional SPL Development, accepted for Software and Services Variability Management Workshop: Concepts, Models and Tools, April 16-20 2007, Helsinki
- Cristiano di Flora, Jilles van Gurp, Christian Prehofer, Towards Effective Smart Space Application Development: Impediments and Research Challenges, accepted for CMPPC’07: Common Models and Patterns for Pervasive Computing Workshop, at Pervasive 2007 in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, May 13-16 2007
- Jilles van Gurp, OSS Product Family Engineering (presentation), First International Workshop on Open Source Software and Product Lines at SPLC 2006. The paper is currently also available from the SPLC 2006 web page.
- Jilles van Gurp, Christian Prehofer, Version management tools as a basis for integrating Product Derivation and Software Product Families, Proceedings of the Workshop on Variability Management - Working with Variability Mechanisms at SPLC 2006, pp. 48-58, eds. Paul Clements & Dirk Muthig, Fraunhofer IESE-Report No 152.06/E, October 15, 2006.
- Ronald Bos, Jilles van Gurp, Jan-Herman Verpoorten, Sjaak Brinkkemper, Heuristic Evaluation of Content Management Systems: CMS Specific Heuristics, In P. Isaias & M.B. Nunes (Eds.), Proceedings of the IADIS International Conference WWW/Internet 2005, pp. 247-254, IADIS Press, 2005. Presentation
- Eelke Folmer, Jilles van Gurp, Jan Bosch, Scenario based assessment of software architecture usability, in the ICSE 2003 Bridging the Gaps Between Software Engineering and Human-Computer Interaction workshop proceedings , May 2003.
- Jilles van Gurp, Jan Bosch, Sjaak Brinkkemper, Design Erosion in Evolving Software Products, position paper, International workshop on the Evolution of Large-scale Industrial Software Applications, ICSM 2003.
- S. Deelstra, M. Sinnema, J. van Gurp, J. Bosch, 2003. Model Driven Architecture as Approach to Manage Variability in Software Product Families , Proceedings of the Workshop on Model Driven Architecture: Foundations and Applications (MDAFA 2003), pp. 109-114, CTIT Technical Report TR-CTIT-03-27, University of Twente, June 2003.
- Jilles van Gurp, Jan Bosch, Managing Variability in Software Product Lines, Landelijk Architectuur Congres, Amsterdam 2000
- Jilles van Gurp, Jan Bosch, Automating Software Architecture Assessment, NWPER 2000, Lillehammer, Norway, May 2000.
- Jilles van Gurp, Jan Bosch, Using Bayesian Belief Networks in Assessing Software Designs, ICT Architectures ’99 , Amsterdam November 1999. Slides.
- Jilles van Gurp, Jan Bosch, Software Ontwikkeling: Een Slijtageslag, published in IT-Monitor, IT Monitor 9, 2003 (in Dutch, not peer reviewed)
- Jilles van Gurp, Jan Bosch, Separation of Concerns: a Case Study. technical paper.
- Mikael Svahnberg, Jilles van Gurp, Jan Bosch, A Taxonomy of Variability Realization Techniques, technical paper, ISSN: 1103-1581, Blekinge Institute of Technology, Sweden, 2002. An evolved version of this article has been published in Software Practice & Experience (see above). An earlier version of this paper has been included in my Ph. D. thesis.
- Jilles van Gurp, Jan Bosch, Proceedings of First workshop on software variability management (SVM 2003)