This is my website. I’ve had it in various forms since the mid nineties and with this domain for two decades now. For the last decade or so, I’ve been in Berlin, Germany. Before that I lived in Finland, Sweden, and the Netherlands (my home country).
I am self-employed and in recent years I’ve worked as a hands-on CTO of several companies and lately for Formation. As Formation is currently bootstrapping, we are also looking to consult for customers on geospatial services. Checkout our services via the Formation Consulting Page. I also consult on other topics outside of Formation.
I can do several things for you:
- Help you scale your IOT or geospatial architecture. I’ve been building and scaling backend software for most of this century and have been building geospatial software for most of that time.
- Help you with your Elasticsearch architecture. I’ve done several projects in recent years helping customers with complicated upgrades of their Elasticsearch setup, query optimizations, Extract Transform Load (ETL), and more. I have about 15 years of experience with search and have been an early adopter of Elasticsearch.
- Help you with generic Kotlin/Spring Boot projects. I’ve been working with Java since its release in 1995. These days I prefer Kotlin. If you want to migrate to Kotlin, I can help you get started.
I’m available for both short focused projects and longer projects. For short projects I prefer to work with concrete goals where I can come in as a specialist and add value. I charge a premium daily rate for my services and typically work in senior backend engineering / CTO type roles. With experience as a startup CTO and principal engineer & researcher, I bring a lot of experience to any team I join.
For more information, refer to my Linkedin profile.
- I’m the CTO of Formation since the summer of 2020. At Formation, we provide location based services to front line workers (i.e. desk less workers) to help them make sense of the modern workplace and collaborate more effectively with each other. As CTO, I’m currently busy scaling our IOT data architecture, building out our apps and services, and leading the development team.
- I was the lead architect of Inbot between 2014 and 2019 (when we shut it down operations). Inbot provided an AI assisted customer lead discovery service and used search and graph technology to connect our users to suitable introductions in our network (the people graph). The core technology I brought from Localstre.am when Inbot acquired us in late 2013.
- I founded Localstre.am, which was a location based content search engine based on my earlier work in Nokia and Nokia Research.
- I worked in Nokia Maps (now know as Here Maps) in Berlin on their Places and Search team on various topics.
- I started out my career doing a Ph. D. on scaling large software systems in 2003 and did another year as a post doc. Then, I then ended up in Nokia Research where I built several research prototypes, including an Indoor Services prototype that we demoed in a Helsinki based shopping mall.
When not working for startups, I’ve done a few successful consulting projects with customers during the last four years:
- I consulted on a Bertelsmann project to help them build out their Elasticsearch based recommendation engine and set up their ETL pipeline using Apache Airflow.
- I helped a Berlin startup (Artory) get organized with their ETL pipeline and querying.
- I migrated Soundcloud’s search engine from Elasticsearch 5 to version 7 in an intense one-month project. The project scope included migrating their custom plugins, updating their schema, fixing their ETL code base and upgrading their deployment scripts.
- I helped build what is now matmatch.com (as part of a BCG venture and designed and built the first version of their material search engine. This included figuring out this complex domain and coming up with a solution to index and rank hundreds of different types of material properties (physical, chemical, electric, magnetic, etc.) to help users find materials matching their specification from a comprehensive catalog of different alloys and other materials.
- Email: jilles AT jillesvangurp.com
- Cellphone: +4917661895701. I’m also on WhatsApp and Signal.
- Address Bergstrasse 16, 10115 Berlin, Germany
- Generally @jillesvangurp on anything I use. That handle is globally unique.
A little guide for contacting me:
- I prefer email but please don’t add me to mailing-lists.
- I generally don’t connect to people I don’t know on LinkedIn, Skype, Facebook, etc. Don’t take it personally if I decline your invitation for this reason. This happens a lot as I have all the buzzwords in my LinkedIn profile. See #1.
- Phone calls are just rude these days. Unless there is an emergency or you know me well: don’t cold call. Especially not during office hours. See #1.
Privacy & Cookies
This site currently has no cookies that need setting, I have no analytics installed, and nor am I interested in invading your privacy. This may change in the future if I add some new functionality to this site. Current browsers are making tracking quite hard and I actually enjoy using browsers that are good at blocking this. If you enjoy the content, give me a shout out on e.g. Twitter or something. The web hosting that I use may collect some server logs of course. Beyond that, I’m not aware of any kind of tracking or privacy invading tools on this website.