This is my website. I’ve had it in various forms since the mid nineties and with this domain for two decades now. For the last decade or so, I’ve been based in Berlin, Germany and have also lived in Finland, Sweden, and the Netherlands (my home country).
I am self employed and in recent years I’ve worked as a very hands on CTO and as a freelance consultant applying my skills related to (Elastic)search, Stellar, backend development, and related topics. I also maintain the Kotlin clients for Elasticsearch and Stellar.
Currently I do several things:
- I’m active ad as a consultant for several companies. These are typically short projects of a few days or weeks to solve a technical problem, or advice them on architecture, team strategy or product strategy. I usually work with a daily rate + retainer fees. If you need help with e.g. your Elasticsearch setup, talk to me as this is one of the things I specialize in.
- I’m working with a local startup called Formation on straightening out their technical roadmap and putting them on a path to profitability. I also do technical work for them.
- When time permits, I work on my OSS projects.
- Elasticsearch and associated tools and technology. I’ve built and architected many search engines over the years with Lucene, Solr, and the last eight years Elasticsearch. This includes designing ETL pipelines, mass ingesting data, creating sophisticated search experiences, querying, devops, etc.
- Expert on Kotlin/Java (25 years of experience), Spring/Spring boot, Ktor and many related tools and frameworks.
- Stellar blockchain - I’m not a crypto investor but I have done a fair bit of development work against Stellar in two startups to support various use cases.
I’m available for both short focused projects as well as longer projects. For short projects I prefer to work with concrete goals where I can come in as a specialist and add value. For longer projects I charge a premium daily rate for my services and typically work in senior backend engineering / CTO type roles. With experience as a startup CTO and principal engineer & researcher, I bring a lot of experience to any team I join.
For more information, refer to my Linkedin profile.
- email: jilles AT jillesvangurp.com
- cell phone: +4917661895701. I’m also on Whatsapp and Signal.
- Address Bergstrase 16, 10115 Berlin, Germany
- Generally @jillesvangurp on anything I use. That handle is globally unique.
A little guide for contacting me:
- I prefer email but please don’t add me to mailing-lists.
- I generally don’t connect to people I don’t know on Linkedin, Skype, Facebook, etc. Don’t take it personally if I decline your invitation for this reason. This happens a lot as I have all the buzzwords in my linkedin profile. See #1.
- Phone calls are just rude these days. Unless it is an emergency or you know me well: don’t cold call. Especially not during office hours in which case, yes it is inconvenient. See #1.
Privacy & cookies