CTO@FORMATION, consultant, Berlin Germany
Experienced tech entrepreneur, (interim) CTO, strategy, and consultant, hands-on troubleshooter and mentor.
- Search Engines / ElasticSearch
- Geospatial technologies
- Leading Remote Teams
- Agile Team Management
- Technical consulting
- Team Workshops / Troubleshooting
- Server-side cloud architectures
Dr. Jilles van Gurp is the CTO, of FORMATION Gmbh in Berlin where he drives the product and technology roadmap. Jilles is a serial founder, troubleshooter, and has decades of experience building innovative software services, leading tech teams, and creating breakthrough products. His professional experience includes Senior Researcher at Nokia Research in Finland, Principal Engineer at Nokia Maps in Berlin. He also is a Search Engine consultant that has worked with clients such as BCG DV, Soundcloud, Bertelsmann Group and others with their search challenges, product development, and roadmap.
- Natural team player, with strong interpersonal skills, can build and lead agile teams, coach and mentor individuals at all professional levels and from a wide variety of backgrounds.
- Loves to figure out technical roadmaps and tackle the difficult strategic questions with a focus on pragmatic early releases to achieve long-term strategic value.
- Deep technical expertise and mindset, with hands-on approach to dealing with new domains, tech stacks and paradigms. Using Lucene, Solr, and Elasticsearch for 20 years.
- Pragmatic problem solver and fan of lateral-&-end to end thinking, love to iterate!
Jilles holds a PhD in Software Engineering from the University of Groningen in the Netherlands (2003) where he also worked as a postdoc, a Swedish Licentiate degree from the Blekinge Institute of Technology (2001), and a master degree from the University of Utrecht 1999.
- High-level or hands-on consulting on search architecture, vector search, & elasticsearch/opensearch.
- Trainings and workshops related to that. Want to use Fleet, ELK, or are you looking to level up your search skills? I can help.
- Improving the quality of your search. I built Rankquest Studio to help my clients benchmark their search quality because I have found that a lot of them were struggling with a lack of a structured approach to evolving their search in a datadriven way.
- Architecture / ETL reviews, workshops, or hands-on deep dives
- Team troubleshooting & interim management & mentoring.
- General consulting on tech, roadmap, or product.
I generally work as a consultant, not as a freelance developer. This means I can work with you in short projects or on a retainer fee basis. While I am very hands-on technically, I’m not able to join teams fulltime.
I maintain several projects on Github that relate to my activities as a consultant and that we use at FORMATION as part of our product platform. Here is a small selection:
- rankquest-studio Rankquest Studio is a web based tool that you can use to benchmark search relevance metrics for your search APIs. You can try the latest version here.
- kt-search Multi platform kotlin client for Elasticsearch & Opensearch with easily extendable Kotlin DSLs for queries, mappings, bulk, and more.
- querylight Querylight is an in memory, kotlin multi platform text indexing library that implements tf/idf and a minimal query language. Great for client side search in web apps, android or other Kotlin apps.
- geogeometry GeoGeometry is a set of algorithms and functions for manipulating geo hashes and geometric shapes with geo coordinates. We use this at FORMATION and this library has served me well in my various startups.
- Email: jilles AT jillesvangurp.com
- Cellphone: +49-176-6189-5701. I’m also on WhatsApp and Signal. Please coordinate asynchronously before calling.
- Generally @jillesvangurp on anything I use. That handle, like my name, is globally unique.
This Web Site
Privacy & Cookies
This site currently has no cookies that need setting, I don’t use any analytics, and I’m not interested in invading your privacy. Current browsers are making tracking quite hard in any case. Also, I actually enjoy using such browsers myself for this reason. The web hosting that I use may collect some server logs of course. Beyond that, I’m not aware of any kind of tracking or privacy invading tools on this website.