About this page
I choose to share my published work via this website. The reason is simply because I wrote these articles so that others may read them. I find that locking them up behind tightly controlled for profit publisher web sites is a good way of ensuring few people do that. It should be noted though that in some cases the copyright of the material belongs to the publisher and not to me. It is my understanding that publishers generally don’t object against authors providing downloadable pdfs of their published work. I know this to be true of at least the IEEE where several of these articles have been published. So, while this is legally a bit a gray area, I encourage others to the same with their published material.
Ph. D. Thesis and other works
- On the design & preservation of software systems, Ph. D. thesis, University of Groningen, 2003.
- Variability in Software Systems: The Key to Software Reuse, Licentiate thesis, October 2000.
- Design Principles for Reusable, Composable and Extensible Frameworks, Master thesis, March 1999.
- J. van Gurp, C. Prehofer, J. Bosch, Comparing Practices for Reuse in Integration-oriented Software Product Lines and Large Open Source Software Projects, Software: Practice and Experience, John Wiley & Sons, vol 40(4), pp. 285-312, 2010.
- C. Prehofer, J. van Gurp, V. Stirbu, S. Sathish, P. Liimatainen, C. di Flora, S. Tarkoma, Practical Web based Smart Spaces, IEEE Pervasive Computing, vol 9(3), pp. 72-80, 2010.
- Jilles van Gurp, Sjaak Brinkkemper, Jan Bosch, Design Preservation over Subsequent Releases of a Software Product – A Case Study of Baan ERP, Journal of Software Maintenance and Evolution: Research and Practice, vol 17(4), pp. 277-306, 2005.
- Mikael Svahnberg, Jilles van Gurp, Jan Bosch, A taxonomy of variability realization techniques, Software Practice & Experience, vol 35(8), pp. 1-50, 2005.
- Anton Jansen, Jilles van Gurp, Rein Smedinga, Jan Bosch, First class feature abstractions for product derivation, IEE Proceedings of Software Engineering, vol 151, no 4. August 2004.
- Eelke Folmer, Jilles van Gurp, Jan Bosch, A framework for capturing the relationship between usability and software architecture; Software Process: Improvement and Practice, Volume 8, Issue 2. Pages 67-87. April/June 2003.
- Eelke Folmer, Jilles van Gurp, Jan Bosch, Investigating the relationship between software architecture and usability, accepted for Software Process – Improvement & Practice: Special Issue on Bridging the Process and Practice Gaps between Software Engineering and Human Computer Interaction, 2003.
- Jilles van Gurp, Jan Bosch, Design Erosion: Problems & Causes, Journal of Systems & Software, 61(2), pp. 105-119, Elsevier, March 2002.
- Jilles van Gurp, Jan Bosch, “Design, Implementation and Evolution of Object Oriented Frameworks: Concepts & Guidelines”, Software Practice ” Experience no 33(3), pp 277-300, March 2001.
- S.Tarkoma, J. Heikkinen, J. van Gurp. Mobile Push for Converged Mobile Services: the Airline Scenario. Book chapter. To appear in Handbook of Research on Advanced Distributed Event-Based Systems, Publish/Subscribe and Message Filtering Technologies. Edited by A. Hinze and A. Buchmann, published by IGI.
- Christian Prehofer, Jilles van Gurp and Jan Bosch, Compositionality in Software Product Lines, in Emerging Methods, Technologies and Process Management in Software Engineering, Andrea De Lucia, Filomena Ferrucci, Genny Tortora and Maurizio Tucci (editors), pp. 21-43, Wiley-IEEE Computer Society Press, 2008.
- Jilles van Gurp, Jan Bosch, Role-Based Component Engineering, in “Building Reliable Component-based Systems”, editors: Ivica Crnkovic and Magnus Larsson, Artech House Publishers, 2002.
- Jilles van Gurp, Mikael Svahnberg, Jan Bosch, “On the notion of variability in software product lines”, chapter in “System Family Variant Configuration and Derivation”, N. Farcet (editor), wp3 of the ESI ESAPS (Engineering Software Architectures, Processes and Platforms for System-Families) project, thales_wp3-0105-1, May 2001.
- V. Myllärniemi, C. Prehofer, M. Raatikainen, J. van Gurp,T. Männistö, An Approach for Dynamically Composing Decentralised Service Architectures with Cross-Cutting Constraints, ECSA 2008 – First European Conference on Software Architecture, 2008
- Jilles van Gurp, Juha Savolainen, Service Grid Variability Realization, proceedings of 10th International Software Product Line Conference (SPLC 2006), August 2006.
- Jilles van Gurp, Anssi Karhinen, Jan Bosch, Mobile Service Oriented Architectures (MOSOA), invited paper, proceedings of 6th IFIP WG 6.1 International Conference on Distributed Applications and Interoperable Systems
- Folmer, E.; Gurp, J. v. & Bosch, J., 2004, Software Architecture Analysis of Usability, the 9th IFIP Working Conference on Engineering for Human-Computer Interaction, Pages 321-339 Hamburg, July 2004.
- Jilles van Gurp, Rein Smedinga, Jan Bosch, Architectural Design Support for Composition and Superimposition, proceedings of HICCS 2002. Presentation slides can be found here.
- Jilles van Gurp, Jan Bosch, Mikael Svahnberg, On the Notion of Variability in Software Product Lines, Proceeedings of WICSA 2001, August 2001. The slides of the powerpoint presentation can be found here.
- Jilles van Gurp, Jan Bosch, SAABNet: Managing Qualitative Knowledge in Software Architecture Assessment,Ã‚Â proceedings of ECBS 2000. Presentation slides.
- Jilles van Gurp, Jan Bosch, On the Implementation of Finite State Machines Proceedings of the 3rd Annual IASTED International Conference Software Engineering and Applications ( SEA ’99) pp 172-178, october 6-8, 1999 Scottsdale, Arizona. The framework that is discussed in the paper and some code examples, can be found here. The code is provided as is and is provided for educational purposes only. An earlier, longer version of this paper can be found here.
Workshop Papers & Demo’s
- Filip Suba, Christian Prehofer, Jilles van Gurp, Towards a Common Sensor Network API: Practical Experiences, The 2008 Symposium on Applications & the Internet, Turku, Finland, July 28 – Aug. 1, 2008.
- Jilles van Gurp, Christian Prehofer, From SPLs to Open, Compositional Platforms, position paper for Dagstuhl seminar 08142: Combining the Advantages of Product Lines and Open Source, 2008. Read the blogpost with the full paper.
- Jilles van Gurp, Sasu Tarkoma, Christian Prehofer, and Cristiano di Flora, A Web based platform for smart spaces, Demo at The Internet of Things 2008.
- Jilles van Gurp, Christian Prehofer, Cristiano di Flora, Experiences with realizing Smart Space Web Service Applications, 1st IEEE International Peer-to-Peer for Handheld Devices Workshop in proceedings of the 5th IEEE Consumer Communications and Networking Conference CCNC 2008, pp. 1171-1175, 2008
- Christian Prehofer, Jilles van Gurp, Cristiano di Flora Towards the Web as a Platform for Ubiquitous Applications in Smart Spaces, Second Workshop on Requirements and Solutions for Pervasive Software Infrastructures (RSPSI), at UBICOMB 2007, Innsbruck, 16-19 Sebtember, 2007.
- Jilles van Gurp, Variability Management and Compositional SPL Development, accepted for Software and Services Variability Management Workshop: Concepts, Models and Tools, April 16-20 2007, Helsinki
- Cristiano di Flora, Jilles van Gurp, Christian Prehofer, Towards Effective Smart Space Application Development: Impediments and Research Challenges, accepted for CMPPC’07: Common Models and Patterns for Pervasive Computing Workshop, at Pervasive 2007 in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, May 13-16 2007
- Jilles van Gurp, OSS Product Family Engineering (presentation), First International Workshop on Open Source Software and Product Lines at SPLC 2006. The paper is currently also available from the SPLC 2006 web page.
- Jilles van Gurp, Christian Prehofer, Version management tools as a basis for integrating Product Derivation and Software Product Families, Proceedings of the Workshop on Variability Management – Working with Variability Mechanisms at SPLC 2006, pp. 48-58, eds. Paul Clements & Dirk Muthig, Fraunhofer IESE-Report No 152.06/E, October 15, 2006.
- Ronald Bos, Jilles van Gurp, Jan-Herman Verpoorten, Sjaak Brinkkemper, Heuristic Evaluation of Content Management Systems: CMS Specific Heuristics, In P. Isaias & M.B. Nunes (Eds.), Proceedings of the IADIS International Conference WWW/Internet 2005, pp. 247-254, IADIS Press, 2005. Presentation
- Eelke Folmer, Jilles van Gurp, Jan Bosch, Scenario based assessment of software architecture usability, in the ICSE 2003 Bridging the Gaps Between Software Engineering and Human-Computer Interaction workshop proceedings , May 2003.
- Jilles van Gurp, Jan Bosch, Sjaak Brinkkemper, Design Erosion in Evolving Software Products, position paper, International workshop on the Evolution of Large-scale Industrial Software Applications, ICSM 2003.
- S. Deelstra, M. Sinnema, J. van Gurp, J. Bosch, 2003. Model Driven Architecture as Approach to Manage Variability in Software Product Families , Proceedings of the Workshop on Model Driven Architecture: Foundations and Applications (MDAFA 2003), pp. 109-114, CTIT Technical Report TR-CTIT-03-27, University of Twente, June 2003.
- Jilles van Gurp, Jan Bosch, Managing Variability in Software Product Lines, Landelijk Architectuur Congres, Amsterdam 2000
- Jilles van Gurp, Jan Bosch, Automating Software Architecture Assessment, NWPER 2000, Lillehammer, Norway, May 2000.
- Jilles van Gurp, Jan Bosch, Using Bayesian Belief Networks in Assessing Software Designs, ICT Architectures ’99 , Amsterdam November 1999. Slides.
- Jilles van Gurp, Jan Bosch, Software Ontwikkeling: Een Slijtageslag, published in IT-Monitor, IT Monitor 9, 2003 (in Dutch, not peer reviewed)
- Jilles van Gurp, Jan Bosch, Separation of Concerns: a Case Study. technical paper.
- Mikael Svahnberg, Jilles van Gurp, Jan Bosch, A Taxonomy of Variability Realization Techniques, technical paper, ISSN: 1103-1581, Blekinge Institute of Technology, Sweden, 2002. An evolved version of this article has been published in Software Practice & Experience (see above). An earlier version of this paper has been included in my Ph. D. thesis.
- Jilles van Gurp, Jan Bosch, Proceedings of First workshop on software variability management (SVM 2003)