I’m available for freelancing and consulting and currently looking for contracts.
In between gigs I work on Inbot, the startup I’ve been involved with for the last six years as well as various open source projects on Github. I am not currently considering fixed term positions. I’m used to working remotely. Within reason, traveling is not a problem but I’m not very eager to spend months in hotels.
Things I’ve done recently
- Help a customer migrate their huge, mission critical Elasticsearch cluster to Elasticsearch 7.x and upgrade their indexing infrastructure, automation, and custom plugins as well.
- Build Kotlin clients for Elasticsearch and Stellar (Github)
- Set up ELK based logging and analytics using Elastic Cloud. If you’d like to modernize your logging, security auditing, monitoring/metrics, apm, etc., I can help.
- Build Inbot – Stellar based reward program where our users earn InToken for rewards issued by our customers.
- Build the search engine for matmatch.com using Elasticsearch; a material and metal alloy search engine.
- Lots more for Inbot, Nokia/Here, and others.
What I can do for you
- Support you with building a search engine using Elasticsearch. I have years of experience and can jump in to help with product strategy, architecture, devops, and the details of coding solutions.
- Generic Java/Kotlin projects. I’ve done Spring Boot, generic servlets, and much more. I’ve been doing stuff on Java since 1996.
- Jump start converting your Java code base to Kotlin. I’m good at refactoring and modernizing legacy code bases. Kotlin makes Java fun again.
- Get you started with gaining insight into what is happening in your systems via Elastic based tools by exposing APM, metrics, logs, auditing data, etc.
- Get you started with a block chain based product using Stellar, Ripple, or similar. Also interested in getting you started with the Libra tech stack and learning along with you what that entails.
- Tackle technical debt. We all have it. I’m not afraid to get my hands dirty and help fix it. Any software I touch, my goal is to leave it in a better state than I found it.
Things I’d like to learn
- Rust – I know enough about this language to know I have a lot of learning to do. However, I think this is by far them most disruptive thing that has happened in terms of programming language in recent decades. I would consider any project that would allow me to learn on the job to be a great investment of my time.
My rate and CV are available on request.